The theme for October: Celebrating Diversity [ October 6-30 ]
Family participation DURING THE MONTH:
1) Brainstorming what is diversity and send me the notes (to post in our bulletin board)
2) Ideas about activities on how we can celebrate diversity (to post)
3) I will like to extend an invitation to the parents to visit the library with the children and choose some books about our monthly themes and share with the group
4) To create a family book with pictures (including extended family) and some stories they will like to share to enrich our forest preschool library
5) Share world maps and/or the globe, posters, games, toys, musical instruments, photos of vacations and any material and resources.
6) Parents are welcome to share talents or time in our program
During this month we will explore the many facets of diversity; diversity in people and our environment. Please take a look at our Bulletin Board in the Learning Centre, and take the time to read our programming tree as the children assist in adding the leaves as the month unfolds. It's quite magical to watch a theme unfold, as we allow the children to lead their learning process, and to witness how they incorporate their learning into the lives at home.
Last month we explored the theme "Camouflage" which took us in many different directions with the children. They watched the camouflaging of the environment as the leaves changed with the passing of the summer, they experienced Camouflage as they played games and learned to blend into their own little hiding spots, they discussed how compost begins to Camouflage as it breaks down into soil, and so much more. We have heard tons of stories from our families about how their children picked up on this theme at home, witnessing how animals and other things in their environments also lent themselves to the great world of Camouflage.
If any parent has anything to contribute on Celebrating Diversity, please suggest them to Sara at any point in time. We welcome story-telling circles, pictures brought from home, science experiments, etc.
Enjoy this Harvest Season, and looking forward to seeing this learning unfold in front of our eyes.